There is nothing like a freshly vacuumed house. How often to vacuum a house? It may not be answered generally. But vacuuming more than once in a week is what most of the houses do. If I try to generalize and simplify the answer I’d say the more traffic, the more frequently your house needs to get vacuumed.
How Often Should You Vacuum Your Home?
- Vacuum once a day if you have a big family with few pets and children. Big families usually stay in big houses, that may not be possible to clean by one-person daily. It is more convenient if you can schedule and divide the cleaning responsibilities to the other members in your house too. If the house is very big then clean the high traffic areas daily. Leave the rest of it to clean twice a week.
- For medium or small families with big houses and pets, cleaning twice a week or every alternate day can be good. For detailed and above the floor cleaning you can use the small attachments and brushes and do that on weekends when you have a lot of free time. If you want to save your weekend times for having fun and not by doing the chores then it is better to find some time on weekdays to do the detailed cleaning.
- Small families with usually light traffic at home can go for vacuuming the once in a week routine. If you are lucky enough to have less amount of dust in your house then dusting twice a month can be great for you. You can put your dusting routine as the same day of vacuuming. Remember to dust before you vacuum. That way you will easily get rid of the loose dust out of your floor and furniture.
- If you have pets then you should be more frequent to vacuum your house. The unlimited pet furs and dander is the reason why you need to frequently clean your home. My cousin has four dogs in her house and she lives with her boyfriend. They share the vacuuming routine and vacuums the whole house at least twice a week and sometimes more than that. Besides that, they regularly use a handheld pet efficient vacuum for upholstery cleaning whenever it’s needed.
- Having someone who has allergy in your house or your family also requires frequent cleaning. You never want a member of your family because you are too lazy to use your vacuum cleaner. So, in case of having an allergy sensitive person in your house, try using a good vacuum cleaner that is certified from asthma and Allergy Foundation and cleans with it so that they have no problem in your house.
- How much time can you spend on daily cleanliness? If not much then try to divide within the days of the week. Instead of vacuuming the whole house at once you can clean one room at a time.
How Often to Vacuum Carpet?
If your house contains lots of carpeted area then you know how hard it is once the carpet captures a lot of dirt and dust in it. I personally love using beautiful carpets in my house. It doesn’t only make my home look elegant but also brings a warm feeling that I never find in walking the bare floors. Carpets are really hard to clean. Unless you regularly maintain the carpet by vacuuming it and do not let the dust stick in it.
how often should I vacuum my carpet? Quite often in a month. But it is also not a good practice to vacuum your plush and high pile carpets too much. You can end up ruining the sensitive material of the carpet by using a motorized brush roll in it. You should always know how much suction your carpet can handle and how often you should vacuum your carpet to keep it clean.
Once in a month
Vacuuming a carpet once a month should be good enough if you have regular traffic in your house. Heavy traffic with pets may require double the cleaning. In case of very light traffic, you can vacuum your carpet once in two months.
A simple trick that I follow is I know I need to vacuum my carpet when I have already done my furniture dusting twice. You can follow it, or set your own cycle as your convenience. No matter if you vacuum your carpet once in a month or two months, always work on a cycle. In that way, you’ll know how much time and effort you’ll need to clean it.