How To Make A Tile Floor Shine Without Wax
Tile floors can be a stunning enhancement to make your home interior look beautiful and attractive! However, this type of flooring is susceptible to dirt, dust, and filth, eventually losing its shine if left unattended. Constant stains, dust, and footwear stress eventually make them unattractive and unsightly. While a lot of people use wax to restore the shine and luster of the tile floors, It breaks them down unevenly over time, giving them an even older look than before!
Luckily, there are many natural and simple products available in the market and in your home that you can use to make a tile floor shine without wax and other chemical-based products. Whether it is your bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, or house walls, there are several do-it-yourself ways to make the tile floors sparkle with brilliance. Let’s take a look at some of the best ways that you can use to enhance the appearance of your tile floors without spending a lot of money and using minimal effort.
Fun Facts About Floor Tiles
Almost all the flooring options out there come with their own strengths and weaknesses. However, maintenance is the most crucial and significant cause of concern for people with tile floors. Even though they are the most attractive and unique based on their colors, styles, and design, inappropriate maintenance can lead to long-term unsophistication and irreversible damage.
The natural tile polish is gullible to wear and tear over time, especially when you fail to maintain its shine and cleanliness. There are multiple ways to make your tile floors shine without using unnecessary wax and harsh chemicals. Retaining the shine of your tile floors without wax is possible, and we are going to learn exactly how to do it!
Drawbacks Of Using A Wax Finish On Tile Floors
Wax is commonly used to clean and reinstate the shine of your ceramic tiles and other types of floorings. But, it has a tendency to break down quite quickly due to the small dents left behind. Removing the wax is also challenging as it involves the use of stripping agents for liquefaction. Some other drawbacks linked to the constant use of wax on tile floors include:
- Wax finish only works well for certain types of floors, such as tiles, concrete, hardwood, bamboo, and linoleum. Wax cannot work on vinyl, wooden floors, and other flooring materials.
- People love using wax finish on their tile floors mainly because of its easy application. All they need is a wax applicator or a cotton cloth to achieve the desired gloss finish. Unfortunately, wax finish is quite hard to remove from the tiles as it has a tendency to soak into the floor. Therefore it is better to go for natural home remedies to refine the tile floor finish.
- While the wax is the best thing to bring back to shine of dull floors, it is not as durable as other options. Many liquid-based and oil-based options are accessible to help you achieve a variety of finishes in real time.
- Another drawback of wax floor finish is that it requires frequent maintenance. You might need to reapply the wax on tile floors at least two to three times a year to maintain the glossy finish expected! Reapplication can lead to wax build-up, which ultimately makes your floors look dull.
- Lastly, it is important to understand that wax floor finishes are feeble to fire heat damage and high temperature. Excessive heat can melt the wax and stain the floor.
How To Make a Tile Floor Shine Without Wax?
Wax is one of the most popular ways to bring shine to any tile floor. But, there are other ways you can employ cheaply to save money and restore the genuineness of tile flooring using nothing but natural, wax-free homemade solutions. Following are some of the best available options to make your tile floors shine naturally:
- Regular Sweeping And Vacuuming
It is indeed one of the most practical, valuable, and easiest steps to retain tile floors’ shine.
- You can keep the floors decent looking by regular vacuuming and cleaning.
- This step helps remove loose dirt, stubborn debris, and even food particles that may accumulate on the surface and cause damage.
- Warm Soapy Water
A combination of soap and warm water can do wonders during this process. For this method:
- Mix a small amount of detergent or liquid soap of your choice in a bucket filled with warm water.
- Now mix thoroughly to make a warm soapy solution.
- Once you are done, use the mop to apply the solution on our tiles floor.
- Before proceeding, it is very important that you broom or vacuum the area or rub it with a soft towel to retain the grip of the floor.
- Cleaning with soapy water is quite effective on resilient floors as well as on ceramic tiles. In the event of severe stains, it is best if you use a sponge to gently clean the stain and then rinse with clean water if necessary.
- Use Baking Soda
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is something that almost everyone has in their pantry! It is most commonly used in baking, but you can also use it for other household purposes due to the innumerable benefits baking soda offers! Apart from cleaning stains on your teeth and clothes, people also use baking soda to clean stubborn stains on their tile floors. For dirty and colored tiles, baking soda also serves as a natural tile polish to enhance the overall appearance and shine of the floor.
- To use this amazing cleaner, all you have to do is take two gallons of warm water and put it in a bucket.
- Now add 1/4th cup baking soda powder, 1/4th cup vinegar, and one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap to the mop bucket.
- For a better fragrance and feel, you can even add one to two drops of any essential oil of your choice to the solution. We prefer adding lavender essential oil!
- Mix the solution thoroughly to form a thick paste.
- Now, allow the paste to settle on the tiles and stubborn stains for about 15-20 minutes before rinsing the floor with fresh, clean water.
- Repeat the process a few more times in case of persistent stains on the tile floors. Dry the surface with the help of a clean, dry towel.
- Use Ammonia Water Solution
You can easily purchase diluted ammonium solution, which serves as an extraordinary household cleaner. It helps remove greasy stains and achieve a streak-free shine on surfaces like tile floors. It is one of the best floor cleaners out there to show remarkable results in removing stubborn stains and restoring the shine of your tiles. If you are unable to get your hands on diluted ammonium solution, you can make some at home by mixing some basic ingredients.
- Take a mop bucket filled with warm water and add a few drops of ammonia into it.
- Mix the solution well.
- After doing this, dip your cleaning mop into the ammonia-water solution and swish thoroughly to avoid excessive application of the cleaning solution.
- Now mop the floor comprehensively to remove stains and dirt. While using the ammonia-water solution, you are not only bringing back the luster of your tiles floor; you are keeping it disinfected at the same time.
- For stains that don’t go away, use a sponge soaked with the cleaning solution to rub the stains gently. After cleaning, always rinse the floor with adequate fresh water and then dry mop the floor.
- Use Vinegar Solution
Vinegar is another ingredient that we all have in our pantry at all times! It is a natural product that you can safely and confidently use to clean your soiled tile floors and keep them disinfected. It is a decent choice when it comes to effectively cleaning dirty floors without harsh chemicals and fumes. The best thing about vinegar is that when it dries up, it leaves behind a natural, fruity, and fresh scent, which is something that even the most high-end chemical products in the market cannot achieve!
- Make sure that your tile floor is properly vacuumed and cleaned before using the vinegar solution.
- Make sure that the windows of your house are also fully open to facilitate proper air circulation.
- Take two gallons of clean water in a mop bucket and mix a half-cup full of white vinegar in it.
- Now dip your mop into this cleaning solution and scrounge it up a little to avoid excessive application of the solution on the tiles.
- Clean your tile floor thoroughly using the vinegar solution by moving your mop in a back-and-forth motion to ensure the removal of all the dirt.
- Once you are satisfied with the cleaning, dry-mop your floor with the help of a clean towel and leave the floor to air dry.
- With stubborn stains, it is better to sprinkle some baking soda before and scrub it gently until the stains come out. However, try not to make the vinegar solution with any kind of bleach to avoid health risks.
- Use A High-Quality Gloss Tile Sealer
Another important way you can use to make your tile floor shine like before is by applying a high gloss tile sealer. This kind of sealer is commercially produced by manufacturing a blend of water-based acrylic polymers. Follow these steps app the tile sealer on the floor:
- Clean the tile floor thoroughly using a vacuum cleaner or a mop.
- Start by employing any of the above-mentioned home remedies to remove unnecessary stains and dirt.
- Now apply the store-bought gloss tile sealer to give the tiles a glossy finish without having to apply wax.
A lot of people today prefer using tile sealers over wax as they give tiles a much-needed high gloss finish while making the surface resistant to stains and damage. It also enhances moisture vapor transmission. But, before applying the sealer on the floor, make sure that the product is suitable and apt according to the type of floor tile to avoid any cleaning issues. Most gloss tile sealers available in the market are suitable for stone tiles, so if you have ceramic tiles, go for products formulated especially for these tiles.
- Use Lemon To Restore The Shine
Lemon is also another natural remedy that a lot of homeowners use to keep their houses clean and nice-smelling.
- You can make the lemon solution yourself by squeezing the lemon into a spray bottle. Crush out as much juice as you want and start cleaning your tile floors with it.
- After spraying lemon juice, use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe the tiles thoroughly until you have the desired glossiness.
- Alternatively, soak a damp cloth or sponge in the lemon solution for about ten minutes and then wipe the floor tiles thoroughly to restore the shine and polish.
However, note that lemon contains certain acidic components that might corrode the tiles in the long run if left to stand for several hours. So, ensure that you wipe away the tiles properly after using lemon juice to clean stubborn stains.
- Use Ammonia Vinegar And Borax
If you have tough scum or dirt build-up on your tile floor, you can easily bring back the shine by combining three powerful household items to get a powerful cleaner. For effective cleaning, combine a half cup of white vinegar, half a cup of ammonia, and 1/4th cup of borax. Add one gallon of water to this powdered mixture and stir lightly to combine well. Now mop the floor with the cleaning solution, rinse with clean water, and air dry completely.
Long Term Tile Floor Cleaning Tips
Here are some long-term tile floor cleaning tips for newbies who wish to save money and protect the house from all kinds of dangerous chemicals.
- The more frequently you can sweep and vacuum the floor, the better your tiles will look in the long run. The best way to keep tiles shining is to clean them regularly.
- Lightly clean your tile floors several times a week to keep them looking as good as new.
- Take some time out to do a deep cleaning of your tile floors once a month when possible.
- To prevent long-term scuff marks, place floor mats around the doors and entrances to limit the dirt from entering your house. Alternatively, try to avoid wearing shoes on the tiles to extend their life and keep them looking shiny.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Clean Grout On My Tile Floors?
Thoroughly cleaned tiles are not as great until and unless the grout is clean as well. Go for a protective grout sealer while installing your tiles to prevent stains, dust, and moisture from penetrating into the porous surface of the grout and tiles. You can also clean the stained grout lines by mixing up baking soda and hydrogen peroxide with water and then scrubbing using a toothbrush.
Why Do Persistent Stains Occur On Tiles?
Despite cleaning your tiles frequently, stains and mold can still sabotage their appearance and shine. It is mainly because they are caused by certain types of bacteria. Stain-causing microorganisms can develop on the tiles due to an increase in room temperature, constant moisture, and food spillages.
How Can I Make My Tiles Floor Last Longer?
To make your tile floors last longer, you need to keep up with frequent maintenance. If you fail to clean the tiles regularly, go for a deep cleaning session at least once a month to maintain the shine and overall appearance of the tiles.
Does Vinegar Help Shine Tile Floors?
Vinegar is the best natural tile floor cleaner of all time. It is easy to use, affordable and leaves the best sent behind, so an optimum choice for everyone looking for a natural way to clean their tile floors.
How Can I Polish My Tile Floors At Home?
There are many ways to polish your tile floors at home without using harsh chemicals and commercial products. Using a convenient mixture of vinegar water and baby oil can polish your tile floor effectively. You can also mix 1 cup of white vinegar with a few drops of baby oil in a gallon of water and bring your floors to a noticeable sign.
After reading this article, you now know how to make a tile floor shine without wax. Tile floor cleaning is not that hard, so it should not take a whole lot of effort and time. The most common stains on tiles come from shoes and footwear used within the house. This dirt can easily build up in gaps among the floorings and permanently damage the look and luster. With the right supplies, you can do the job yourself and accomplish the desired results in less than the expected time limit!
Use one of the above solutions to bring back the shiny appearance of your tile floors. Instead of letting your strikingly beautiful and appealing tiles become dull and stained, get one or more of these solutions ready. You can opt for one remedy at a time, but for tougher stains, we recommend using a mixture of two or more effective solutions from our article!