Will Steam Cleaning Your Home Prevent the Spread of COVID-19?
Table of Contents
The first wave of infection from the nova coronavirus may well be passing now but this is not the time to relax. If a resurgence of the disease is to be prevented, it is important that all possible precautions are taken, both outside and inside the home. We are often asked if steam cleaning at home will kill the COVID-19 virus but before we answer that, let’s consider basic precautions.
The three most important actions that you can take are:
- Wear a face covering, such as a mask, when in areas where other people are present.
- Observe social distancing guidelines. These generally recommend maintaining a distance of at least two feet between yourself and others.
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly.
If circumstances don’t allow washing at any particular time, such as when in a vehicle, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer until you can wash properly.
The COVID-19 virus is described as being a small sphere with spiky points, about 1.4 microns in diameter (there are 24,500 microns in one inch!).
The virus is transmitted by being expelled by a cough or sneeze from an infected person, and then breathed in by someone else, or settling onto a convenient surface, From there it can be picked up by someone touching the surface and then they can become infected if they touch their face, passing the virus to their eyes, nose, or mouth.
What Precautions Should I Take at Home?
To minimize the possibility of transmission from surfaces in the home it is suggested that you wipe them down with disinfectant wipes. The surfaces to disinfect include door handles, countertops, bathroom vanities, toys, keyboards, remotes, telephones, and anything that has been brought in from outside. There is no consistent opinion on how long viruses might last on surfaces (three days is thought to be the maximum) but it is better to be safe than sorry.
For a more thorough list of suggestions, check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website by clicking here.
Other Appliances That Help to Sanitize the Home
As well as equipment designed with the sole purpose of cleaning household upholstery and furnishings, everyday appliances such as vacuum cleaners, washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers have a role to play.
Many washing machines will have a sanitizing setting that can be used and the hot cycle on most tumble dryers can be helpful in preventing the spread of bacteria and germs.
Home steamers for cleaning may not be able to kill the COVID-19 virus on its own, but they certainly have a role in the household cleaning regimen. And small, hand steamers for cleaning can definitely help to sanitize hard surfaces.
If you are interested in checking out specific machines for these tasks, we recommend the McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner is one the best available.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED — Backed by a 2-year hassle-free warranty and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING — Naturally deep clean and sanitize without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam to eliminate grease, grime, stains, and mold from a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, grout, granite, sealed wood flooring, laminate, appliances, grills, autos, and more
- LARGE CAPACITY TANK — The 48-ounce water tank heats up in under 8 minutes and provides up to 45 minutes of steam with optional lockable steam trigger for continuous steam cleaning. Water Fill Method- Measuring Cup (16 oz).Steam Pressure- 43 psi
- 18 VERSATILE ACCESSORIES — Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a floor mop, mop pads, nylon brushes, brass brush, scrub pad, squeegee, and more
- SUPERIOR REACH — An extra-long 15.7-foot power cord and over 9-foot steam hose provide added maneuverability and reach for those hard to get to places. Steam Rate- 33-37 g/min. Steam Pressure- 43 psi
And for one of the smaller, more portable steamers, the PurSteam PS 581X Handheld Steamer is highly rated by users
- 100% ALL-NATURAL STEAM CLEANING: Hot pressurized steam eliminates grease, grime, mold, stains, and bed bugs without harsh chemicals.
- EASY HANDHELD USE: Lightweight and portable unit comes with a long 9.8-foot cord for convenient indoor and outdoor use.
- SAFE, MULTI-PURPOSE CLEANING: Safe to use on a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, granite, waterproof wood flooring, laminate tiles, most cotton and wool carpets, and washable wallpaper.
- FAST-HEATING: Heats quickly with a 3 to 4-minute warm-up time.
- 9-PIECE ACCESSORY SET: Deep clean the hard-to-reach areas of your home using the heavy-duty attachments for more targeted cleaning. Extension hose for different attachments.