As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To maintain the look, feel, and appearance of your carpet you need to know how to vacuum properly and why to vacuum on a regular basis.
Get Out More Dirt
The most important part of carpet maintenance is removing and disposing of accumulated dry soil. The removal of dry soil will improve the air quality indoors, extend carpet life, and help to maintain the carpet. Keeping regular maintenance on your carpet is one thing, although being sure you have the right equipment on the job is another.
The Green Label
For vacuum cleaners, the CRI (Carpet and Rug Institute) has developed a Green Label testing program. The CRI developed the performance protocol with the goal of protecting indoor quality, keeping all surfaces as clean as possible, and all without
putting dust back into the air.
The Green Label program helps to identify vacuum cleaners that meet three different types of criteria:
- Removing soil.
- Keeping dust out of the air by containing it within the filtration bag and the machine itself.
- It doesn’t damage the carpet and helps to keep the appearance looking good.
The tests for determining the certification of a vacuum cleaner were developed by carpet and vacuum experts and reviewed by scientists with experience in maintenance and the quality of indoor air.
The soil removal protocol will require that the vacuum cleaner remove a specified quantity of soil from the test carpet in four passes.
The protocol for dust containment will dictate the total amount of dust particles that are released into the surrounding air by the action of the brush rolls, through the filtration bag, and any leaks that come from the vacuum system. with this test, the vacuum cleaner can’t release more than 100 micrograms of dust particles per cubic meter of air.
Ideally, you need to look for a model that has a HEPA filter that keeps all of the allergens and dust particles within the filter housing.
The testing protocol for appearance retention will require that the vacuum cleaner not adversely affect the appearance of the carpet, based on a year of normal usage.
If a vacuum cleaner meets all three of the above requirements, the manufacturer may then display the official CRI Green Label on its brand of vacuum cleaner. The CRI tests canister and upright vacuums, wide area vacuums, and even walk behind types as well.
Looking for that important Green Label is the first step to providing longer carpet life and cleaner air for your home or office. The next step is selecting the proper vacuum cleaner for a specific area. You can think of vacuum cleaners like screwdrivers, as you wouldn’t want to use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove a flathead screw.
In the bigger, more open areas, a wide are vacuum cleaner or sweeper can produce excellent results, as well as an increase in productivity. The average 14-inch upright vacuum can clean at a rate of 3,000 square feet per hour, while the average walk-behind can clean at a rate of 40,000 square feet per hour, and also lift the pile of carpet in high traffic areas where the carpet fibers are subject to crushing and matting.
The two motor upright vacuum cleaner is an excellent choice in areas such as executive offices, lobbies, conference rooms, and break areas. A two-motor upright can provide grooming of the fibers in the carpet and removal of the dry soil. Most uprights with two motor setups will also have a removable hose and onboard accessories for cleaning other areas as well, such as vents and chairs.
Along with the type of area, you should also give some thought to the needs of the operator. If you are a manager, you should look for vacuums with ergonomic features, especially if the vacuum will be used for long periods of time.
If it isn’t ergonomically designed, it could result in injury to the operator. At the very least, the cleaning operator might want to avoid using vacuum cleaners that could result in injury.
The Top 5 Vacuums That Contain a HEPA Filter:
- 6 QUART HEPA BAG FILTER WITH 3 FILTRATION STAGES - The Turbo Red AHC-1 portable vacuum cleaner has a 6 quart HEPA bag. This traps harmful particles such as dirt, pollen, pet dander, dust mites, and tobacco smoke with 3 stages of HEPA filtration. An indicator light tells you when the bag is full and needs to be changed.
- 3 VARIABLE SPEED SUCTION - Unlike most small vacuum cleaners, the light weight bagged vacuum provides a 1400 watt variable speed motor. This allows you to choose the right amount of suction for any task. Go from hardwood floors to fine draperies without the perfect suction for any task.
- TELESCOPIC METAL WAND - The small commercial vacuum includes a telescopic metal wand with 17 height settings. This allows you to reach those hard to reach places with ease and comfort.
- PACKED WITH ATTACHMENTS - This vacuum product includes: The Turbo Red Canister Vac, 6 foot hose, 22"-36" telescopic extension, floor tool, air driven turbo brush (for rugs and floors), round dust brush, upholstery nozzle, crevice nozzle, accessory holder, 2 HEPA bags, HEPA exhaust motor filter, exhaust filter cover, internal premotor filter, internal premotor filter cover.
- PERFECT VACUUM FOR HOME AND OFFICE - The lightweight, portable, and powerful vacuum is the perfect vacuum for the home or office. Don't have the space for other big commercial vaccums? The compact design allows you to store the vacuum easily when not in use.
- DUAL-MOTOR SYSTEM - Never worry about losing suction again; ProTeam professional upright vacuum cleaners maintain power to both the brush roller and the suction motor
- BREATHE BETTER AIR - Four Level Advanced Filtration with HEPA media filter improves Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) for your guests; certified Bronze by Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI)
- EXCEPTIONAL CLEANING -Perfect for high-pile carpet and hardwood floors while the ultra-flexible hose and cleaning wand tackle the hard-to-reach areas like under the bed. Motor : 924 W/10 A/120 Volts
- MANEUVERABLE - ProTeam commercial upright vacuums feature large, rubberized wheels that allow for smooth movement over different floor surfaces to tackle bedrooms and bathrooms
- Ideal for the hospitality industry including hotels, motels and meeting halls, with an extra-long 50-foot power cord to clean large areas without having to unplug
- Windtunnel 3 technology: Creates channels of suction to lift and remove surface and deeply embedded dirt
- HEPA filter: Traps in 99. 7% of dirt, dust, pollen, and allergens down to 0.3 microns and one simple touch releases the bag into the trash, so you never need to touch it
- Multi-floor adjustment: Features 7 floor height adjustment settings so that you can move between hard floors and deep carpets with ease
- Above floor cleaning: Up to 17 feet of above floor cleaning to reach ceilings, fans, crown moldings and more
- Tools included: Telescoping Extension Wand, 12 inch crevice tool, upholstery/dusting brush, and a air powered hand tool
- 6 QUART HEPA BAG FILTER WITH 3 FILTRATION STAGES. The Turbo Red HC1-AMZ portable vacuum cleaner has a 6 quart HEPA bag. This traps harmful particles such as pollen, pet dander, dust mites, and tobacco smoke with 3 stages of HEPA filtration. An indicator light tells you when the bag is full and needs to be changed.
- 3 VARIABLE SPEED SUCTION. The light weight vacuum provides a 1400 watt variable speed motor. This allows you to choose the right amount of suction for any task. Go from hardwood floors to fine draperies without the perfect suction for any task
- TELESCOPIC METAL WAND. The vacuum includes a telescopic metal wand with 17 height settings. This allows you to reach those hard to reach places with ease and comfort
- PACKED WITH ATTACHMENTS. This vacuum product includes: The Turbo Red Canister Vac, 6 foot hose, 22"-36" telescopic extension, floor tool, air driven turbo brush (for rugs and floors), round dust brush, upholstery nozzle, crevice nozzle, accessory holder, 2 HEPA bags, HEPA exhaust motor filter, exhaust filter cover, internal premotor filter, internal premotor filter cover
- PERFECT VACUUM FOR HOME AND OFFICE. The light weight, portable, and powerful vacuum is the perfect vacuum for the home or office. The compact design allows you to store the vacuum easily when not in use
- Bundles Includes - Miele's AH50 GN Performance Pack - Comes With 16 Genuine Miele GN Airclean FilterBags, 1 Genuine Miele HEPA Air Clean Filter AH-50 and 4 Pre-Motor Protection Filters
- The Miele Complete C2 Hard Floor has a 20-Year Average Life-Span - Extremely Lightweight and Powerful - Uses Miele's Powerful 1200 Watt Motor with 6 Speed Variable Speed Control - Perfect Suction for Drapes, Rugs, Bare Floors and More!
- Extremely Maneuverable - Crush-Proof Ergonomic Hose - Stainless-Steel Telescopic Wands - Comes With Crevice Tool, Dusting Brush + Upholstery Tool
- Comes with the Miele SBD285-3 Combination Rug and Floor Tool Perfect for Bare Floors and Area Rugs
- Comes with the Miele SBB400-3 Parquet Twister XL Floor Brush - Designed to go flat under baseboards, low under furniture, tight up against kick jams and around chair legs. With a 90 degree twisting rotation there not many places this floor brush can't go! The SBB400-3 XL Floor Brush offers a wider head than the standard SBB300-3 Parquet Twister